Skip to main content


Building approvals to achieve your dream home sooner

Thinking about adding a deck or knocking down a wall? Renovating can be a cost-effective way to create the home you’ve always wanted, provide more space for a growing family, or improve the value of your property.
Whether it’s a DIY project or you’re getting help from a builder, don’t forget that building approvals may be necessary. If you’ve been told by your builder that you need to obtain building approvals, or if you’re not sure whether you even need approvals or where to start, our friendly and professional team can help.
When it comes to construction on your house, it’s vital to ensure work is safe and of a high standard. A certifier’s job is to independently verify that building work complies with plans and standards set out in legislation.

Top ways we help renovators


Professional and efficient building approvals


We’ll give you a quote and fill out the forms for you! Email your plans online now


Retrospective permit advice for work undertaken previously that may be unauthorised


We can help you organise new approvals if your building permit lapsed before renovation work was completed

Frequently Asked Questions for Renovators

What is a Building Certifier?

In Queensland, prior to 1998, all building work was required to be approved by the building surveyor at your local government. Since then most building work is approved by privately engaged Building Certifiers. These Building Certifiers must be licensed with the Queensland Building and Construction Commission. Make sure you engage the correct certifier for your project.

Building Certifier – Level 1 – may perform building certifying functions for all classes of buildings and structures. The Building Approval Company team includes Level 1 certifiers.

Building Certifier – Level 2 – may only perform building certifying functions on buildings and structures having a rise of no more than 3 storeys and a total floor area no more than 2000m2;

Building Certifier – Level 3 – may only perform building certifying functions on class 1 buildings or class 10 buildings or structures.

Do you do land surveying?
No, we recommend you Google “Cadastral surveyor” and your suburb.
Does a garden shed need an approval?
Yes, in the cyclonic regions of Queensland, sheds regardless of size must be certified and approved. See your shed supplier about a cyclone kit, engineers details and Form 15 and send a copy to us together with your site plan.
If I get an approval through The Building Approval Company, do I still need to get Council approval?
No, however there are occasions where a Siting Dispensation, a Material Change of Use or another Referral applies. We will advise you at the fee proposal stage and indicate what additional council fees apply.
My roof is rusted out ‐ does a re‐roof need approval?
If less than 20% of an individual building element requires maintenance or replacement over a 3-year period, a building approval is not necessary. If you are replacing a roof, you will need a building approval. A guideline has been produced by the QBCC in conjunction with Timber Queensland for the repair of sheet metal roofs in cyclonic areas – contact us if you’d like a copy.
Does a pool or spa need approval?
Yes, a pool or spa (regardless of whether it’s portable) with more than 300mm depth must have a building approval. The Building Act 1975 classes Swimming Pools and Spas in the same category. New work for pool fencing with a contract value of over $3,300 must be included in the building approval.
What about a spa with a lockable lid?
The Building Act 1975 requires a spa with a lockable lid to be provided with a compliant barrier and gate. Unfortunately, lockable lids are not self-closing and may be unintentionally left open.
What do I need to get started?
All we need to get started is a site, floor and elevation plan, a property address and your contact details. We will send you a written quote outlining the minimum information you need to supply.
How long does it take for plans to be approved?
The approvals can take up to a week, however most approvals are issued in a few days, assuming the application is complete and no further Council approvals are necessary.
When is a QBCC Owner Builder permit required?

Building work over the value of $11,000 may only be issued to a QBCC licensed builder or an Owner Builder Permit holder. You can apply with your local QBCC for one owner builder permit every 6 years.

The value of work must be calculated to include the full cost of materials and the labour cost, the amount a licensed contractor would charge, regardless of whether it’s provided free of charge.

Typically, the QBCC take up to 4 weeks to process an application for Owner Builder Permit.

If the building has already been constructed, you can apply to the QBCC for a “Work Already Completed Application-Owner Builder”. The approval letter informs the Building Certifier that no insurance premium is payable for the work.

Can I draw my own plans?

Yes, if all the required information is detailed, and the plans are to scale. 

In our experience, the investment in properly drawn plans provides many cost and time savings throughout the construction phase – particularly if engaging contractors.

Contact us now

Our qualified certifiers will ensure your planned renovations are appropriate and compliant, and see that you obtain the required permits as quickly as possible. Don’t risk defective work, it’ll cost you more in the long-run. The Building Approval Company is the most capable team for your certification needs.